CEO Spotlight: Michael Tobler, Albany Firemen’s FCU

 

CEO Spotlight: Michael Tobler, Albany Firemen’s FCU

Mike Tobler was a firefighter long before he became the leader of Albany Firemen’s FCU. And for nearly 40 years, he’s combined the two roles to build an inspiring legacy of service. Tobler recently shared his experiences and insights for this month’s CEO Spotlight column.

Q: What led you to Albany Firemen’s FCU back in 1976?

A: My father was the credit union manager at the time, and I was a firefighter. I was asked if I would be a loan officer. I became the manager when my father retired in 1986.

Q: How have your experiences as a firefighter and Battalion Chief influenced your approach to leading the credit union?

A: I think the two jobs work well together, considering each involves the service of others. Both positions have taught me to work with people and to be prepared for change.

Q: Albany Firemen’s FCU was founded back in 1935 with a $2.50 loan to help a member purchase clothing. For more than 50 years, it operated out of a firehouse. How has this unique history helped shape the credit union?

A: I think that first loan exemplified the need for credit unions. What bank, even at that time, would write a loan for so little? I am proud that men with no financial background understood how important the credit union was to better their financial positions.

We used to have an envelope in each firehouse that our members would put their weekly payments in, and then we would collect the envelopes every Friday. During the 50-plus years we did that, we never lost any monies from those payments. I believe this shows how important the service was to our members.

Q: What’s your primary goal when you go into work each day?

A: To promote the credit union difference—not only in the way we do business, but also by making our members feel that they can depend on us.

Q: What do you view as your greatest accomplishment at the credit union?

A: I am very proud that I have been able to continue the one-on-one service we are known for while also bringing in new employees and services. I think we give special attention to our members, as our member service representatives work individually with each member in a private office space.

Q: What is Albany Firemen’s FCU most focused on for 2014?

A: Growing our membership. This is something that has been slowly accepted by our members, but it is necessary so that we can offer new services for a competitive price. We also have a second branch where we will be increasing our hours of operation and promoting family membership.

Q: How does it feel to see your daughter, Renee Cowan (also a firefighter), in a leadership role at the credit union?

A: I feel very proud, as does our board of directors. Renee is being trained to carry on our great tradition while promoting the future of our credit union.

Q: You’ve been on the Association board since 2007. What do you enjoy most about this role?

A: Being voted to the Association board of directors is probably one of my best accomplishments. I work with an amazing group of people who are committed 100 percent to the goals we all strive for. To have the opportunity to express opinions with leaders of all asset sizes is truly a learning experience, and it epitomizes our willingness to work together.

Q: What do you love most about being part of the credit union movement?

A: There is no doubt that credit union people care about one another. We may sometimes compete for the same member, but when one of us asks for help, others are there to assist. It reminds me of the brotherhood of firefighting.

Q: What do you enjoy doing when you’re not at work?

A: My family and I enjoy traveling and spending time together in Florida. My wife Dale and I enjoy our rides together in our red Corvette. I also enjoy snow and waterskiing, and certainly a round of golf.

Q: What’s the best piece of professional advice you’ve ever received?

A: My father, who was my hero, told me “the bottom line is important, but people come first.” Twenty years after his passing, members still are eager to tell me how he changed their lives through the credit union.

Q: How do you define success?

A: Knowing that things are better because of the actions I have taken. Big or small, I get the same feeling of satisfaction.

About CEO Spotlight:
Each month, the CEO Spotlight column features credit union leaders from around the state, offering an inside look at their experiences and insights. Previous CEO Spotlight columns are available on the Credit Union Association of New York website.

The Point: July 7, 2014

Comments